The 2019-2020 Religious Education classes begin in September. Preparation for Confirmation is a 2-year process. All candidates for Confirmation must complete and submit the Confirmation Application Form prior to receiving the Sacrament.
Before submitting your Confirmation Application you must be prepared to provide the following information:
- Sponsor’s name and contact information, and
- Student’s and Parent’s acknowledgement of having read and accepted the terms of the Confirmation Commitment (see below).
In addition to the application, an essay is required from both the Candidate and their Parent.
STUDENT ESSAY – Please answer the following questions in a 200 word essay. The essay’s purpose is to help evaluate where each candidate is in starting this part of the faith journey. Please be honest; there is no perfect answer.
- What Type of Christian man or woman do you envision being in the future?
- What steps do you need to take to get closer to God?
PARENT ESSAY – Please answer the following questions in 200 words or more. The purpose of this essay is to get a better sense as to where your intentions for this sacrament meet those of your child’s. Please be honest; there is no perfect answer.
- How have you shared with your teen the importance of this sacrament?
- What is the hope or vision you have for your child after he or she receives this sacrament?
The Confirmation sponsor must be a confirmed, practicing Catholic. It cannot be a parent; however, the sponsor can be a Grandparent or Godparent. This should be someone the candidate trusts in seeking out faith advice and direction. While the popular choice is a family member or family friend, we also recommend small group leaders and ministry leaders. This decision is up to the candidate
IMPORTANT: Please read the Confirmation Commitment prior to completing the application.
Thank you for taking the time to discern a deeper commitment to your relationship with God. We hope that through this process you deepen your relationship with God, connect with other believers, discover your gifts and talents, grow in your faith, and see what an impact you can have on the church, the community and the world.
You will be asked on the Confirmation Application to acknowledge that you understand and agree to the following:
The candidate commits to:
- Deepening my relationship with God and the Church by fully participating in the preparation set forth by Ascension Catholic Church’s student ministry, including the retreat,
- Attending youth group on a regular basis not missing more than 2 meetings per semester,
- Participating in Spark nights and small groups that will guide me through the resources and steps that will help me in the development of spiritual habits,
- Attending Mass on the weekends,
- Completing community service hours,
- Taking the next step in my faith, whether that is participation in a season of small groups, ministry, or missions, and
- Completing a final reflection letter to the Director of Student Ministry.
CLICK HERE to complete the online Confirmation Application form.